'Progress Tracking Sheets for 'Little Big Picture'.

I have made these Google Sheets to record and track the progression of my students that work solely or mostly from Little Big Picture/inquiry learning experiences and not from My Primary or Te Ara Hou. This will help me to share successes with parents and students and also they can see exactly where they are at and their next steps - helping take some ownership of their learning. If students don't know where they are going it may be stopping them from moving forward. With Little Big Picture at our level, there was no one way or really any way to record progression broken down into steps for each level like this. There seemed to be no accountability for Little Big Picture learning and I know that management and staff were all in discussions on how we could best do this.  


I have shared all the PTS and other assessment templates with staff that had asked and I will share with anyone else who would like them before I go. It has worked out well because I have made and started them and Tracey has a few of my kids next year, and she would like to carry these on. It now means Tracey will have a starting point and a sense of continuity for the students.  If we used something like this for Little Big Picture/Inquiry learning - It then means each year that the next teacher (same or new) can look at these and have a starting point and build on it. It shows clear direction and next steps, also highlighting gaps that need backfilling. It allows the celebration of smaller goals and milestones which we probably all should celebrate more. It also allows parents to see movement within a stage if it appears they haven't moved.

I have broken down levels 1 - 4 (years 0 - 8) into progressions for reading, writing and maths. The progressions are broken down into the skills required at each level/stage. For maths it is broken down into the knowledge and strategies, reading is in two parts - learning to read and reading to learn and is then broken into knowledge and strategies and thinking. Writing is broken into surface and deeper features. 

I saw it as a need for myself and my students so that I had some kind of accountability for students' progress of learning as to my knowledge unless you are working online of My Primary or My Te Ara Hou there is no set way to record and no actual accountability to track learning. It’s not about tracking learning for data that sometimes can feel meaningless as a teacher but they are a way to celebrate student success and the milestones that we sometimes forget. For instance, in maths moving on to stage 6 can be quite a challenge as the strategies and numbers you are working with are more complex as students begin to rename etc. If a student does not move up to stage 7 that term or even year, it may seem they have made no progress at all; in reality, they would have at least completed a few of the components that make up each level/stage. which is a great visual representation for students and whanau to see and a great way to easily share learning progress and next steps. 


I researched how I could do this and came up with this. I used the 'I Cans' for maths and writing, documents I had that broke down the curriculum from my old school, my own knowledge backed up by documents, Numeracy Framework, Literacy Progressions, writing matrices, Reading Rockets, Dinah Harvey knowledge, and strategy docs. 












Comments