Strengths - Understand the Curriculum and Provide a Creative Hands-on Approach to Learning


Strengths - Understand the Curriculum and Provide a Creative Hands-on Approach to Learning



A way that worked really well for planning authentic experiences at Henry Hill worked like this. 

I begin with a 'big idea' which helps provide a direction but remains open to move in any direction according to interests the students come up with. 

This is how we would plan with 3-4 hands-on experiences planned for the term and all learning would link to this. 


Term Plan 



Year Plan





We learned about fat questions and skinny questions - to help create a school of kids who question learning, rather than just question answerers and to get kids thinking deeper about their learning. 

We used these at first as guides to help both kids and teachers to ask questions. 








I have tried to use a similar approach at Te Kura for my students that are doing Little Big Picture or Inquiry learning. 

I try to make lessons authentic and made to meet the needs and interests of the students. Some lessons I have created are below. 




The lesson I made after a few of my students wanted to know about photography. 



Comments