Whanau Voice - Feedback, Relationships and Individualised Learning.


These are some of the emails and texts that I have received from students and supervisors. They are emails and messages I have randomly received over the 6 months that I have been at Te Kura.  It is extremely rewarding, humbling and heartwarming to receive messages like these and I feel very lucky that my supervisors and students take the time to write these. 
I think they show my flexibility and ability to tap into the interests of students and draw the best from each individual. 
I create learning for nearly all my students from their interests and work from a 'Little Big Picture'/inquiry perspective. 
I try to be creative and have my lessons fit for the digital future and interweave technology into lessons naturally that is new age and interesting.  
I have high expectations for all my students. I feel my students can see I care and these emails and text messages are evidence of the strong relationships I build and the quality of learning that is produced as a result. 
It also shows that the feedback I am giving is having a positive impact, as I have been particularly focussing on this. I have really tried hard to reflect and improve on my own teaching practice and work on my feedback and find a way that the students will respond to the best. 
It is so nice when you get emails like this that specifically mentioned the feedback and it makes all those hours and late nights worth it. 


"Thank you for your email and all your hard work you put into your teaching. There is so much to learn. You're doing such aa great job. Keep up the good work."


This email is from a parent 

This was an email from a supervisor after I apologised as I had shown a student a movie and was planning to show them how to make one but the student decided he would use his initiative and go ahead a make one anyway.  It took them all weekend to figure it out but they did it! Nan had told me the hours they put in and I apologised as I didn't intend for them to do that without support and hoped it hadn't stressed them out. 
"Honestly, I am quite enjoying it. We're learning so much and It's been really good for Johno. It's giving him variety in his learning. So he can't say I'm bored. So don't feel as you do it's been really good. So enjoy his story I was quite impressed actually. You have a good night."



In the next 2 emails, I had asked Joan and Johnathon to give feedback for me on Johnathon's learning and experiences so far. You can tell it is more prescribed than the other emails as it is not written off the cuff. I really like the last few lines Joan wrote - made me smile. I am not even sure how I will tell them I am leaving and need to do this soon. I feel like they are my own family now... I know there definitely be tears...

"Laura is such a lovely teacher. She was made for this job. So friendly and approachable. 
She is very committed to her job as a teacher and always focused on the well-being of her students.
She works along with the students at their pace focusing on their individual strengths, interests and needs. Which helps the students, want to do their school work. 
She includes everyone and respects their individual cultures. She also works hard at helping students reach their full potential. She communicates really well has a great sense of humor and is very very friendly. I wish I had a teacher like her when I was at school I might have learned ðŸ˜‚ something."

                                                                            Joan - Supervisor


"My teacher Laura has been really easy to understand and explains work in a way that is simple and not complicated. 
She treats me as an individual, using my strengths, interests and what I need. 

She teaches me with respect and as an adult. Not like my past teachers at high school. She is a really positive person and keeps in touch with me and any questions I ask, she answers straight away. She is a very good teacher. "

                            
                            Johnathan - Wairoa Student


This next email is a highlight for me as it's from a student who begun at Te Kura and wasn't allowed back to the advisory after a serious incident at Flipout. I focussed on just giving positive feedback and was flexible with his learning and adapted to what his interests were. Now I get emails like this from him! Pretty cool!






Comments